CATEGORIES

Monday, June 2, 2014

Highland Kitchen- 150 Highland Ave, Somerville, MA

First, I feel like I need to explain my absence. I was on a work trip last week to San Francisco! Bummer because I couldn't blog, but also awesome because I ate out 3 meals a day for 6 days (my dream). I need to take a few days to compile my thoughts/experiences to make sure I honor San Fran food the way I should.


To tide you over... I tried Highland Kitchen with some friends a couple weeks ago, and finally have the time to tell you all about it! I think making plans to go out to dinner on Friday night, might excite me more than anything in the world. ESPECIALLY if its a well known hot spot. Well, lemme tell ya- I looked at this menu every single day that week leading up to this Friday night meal. I prepared myself all day, eating light, and drinking a lot of water to expand my stomach. I knew this was going to be an all out dining experience with apps, entrees and dessert.

This place doesn't take reservations and is known to have a line out the door. Its a good size place with a full bar, and about 20 tables. The menu is what I call "escalated comfort food" with a Southern twist. The wait was about 45 minutes- in my eyes- totally reasonable for complete and utter deliciousness.

Like I said, this was an all out affair. For apps, we ordered the mac and cheese, house potato chips and onion dip, Ricotta and mozz fritters and empanadas (Fri night special). All were delish, even though the onion dip slightly resembled an undermayo-ed bowl of tunasalad. While the mac and cheese was soo good (how can it not be tho?) The fan fav was the Ricotta and mozz fritters. They came with a sweet chile-honey dipping sauce and were a really unique mix of flavors. This is a must order!!




 
When it came to the meal, because I was in a Southern mood, I went with the pulled pork. A safe choice, I might add, but still a solid choice. Other choices at the table included a spicy Jambalaya, Pappardelle Bolognese and the Highland burger. All got rave reviews! I tried the Bolognese and was really impressed with the use of truffle oil. I don't understand how it makes everything better.





 

Now- we were stuffed, but obviously had to get dessert! The menu just looked too good! We ordered the warm banana bread pudding with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream aka Heaven in a bowl. I'm drooling just thinking about it now.



I am so glad we gave this place a try, I would recommend it to anyone willing to wait for a good meal! Only negative (which I feel like I have to mention because I'm lookin out for you guys) is our server was "questionable"(I'm being generous). Have you ever been to a restaurant that is so popular/busy, the server make you feel like they don't NEED your business?  Well that was our waiter. He was a smug smug man and I did not appreciate it. Annoying thing was, the food was great, and everyone else that worked there was nice! However, sometimes just one person can make you leave a place with a bad taste in your mouth (pun intended).
http://www.highlandkitchen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment