CATEGORIES

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Leftover Challenge

Surprisingly, I am not a big fan of leftovers. There's something that skeeves me about food sitting overnight in the fridge and being reheated in the microwave. But for some reason, when a waitress asks me if I want to take home the rest of my meal, I ALWAYS say yes. Maybe it's something about getting my full money's worth- or sticking it to the man...But what I am left with is a fridge full of takeout containers, which ends in a smelly depressing mess.

Now, I am not saying that all leftovers are bad. I know pizza is a fan favorite to eat cold or heat up in the microwave, and chilli is also pretty good the second day..but, what if we could make leftovers into something even more delicious the next day?

So last night I challenged myself to make a dish with leftovers that is better than the original dish the night before. Sounds like a Top Chef 'Quickfire' to me! Now, remember those pulled pork sandwiches I made? I had a good amount of meat left over, so I got to thinking, what could make this dish even better? Well- the answer was simple, what ingredient makes 99% of food better? CHEESE! (also, bacon- but its way too tempting to keep that in the house) So I decided the perfect leftover dish to make was BBQ pulled pork quesadillas.

Pulled Pork Quesadillas

What you need: Leftover BBQ pulled pork, Flour tortillas, 1 bag mexican chesse, cooking oil spray and of course DIPPING SIDES (Guac, Salsa, Sour cream). The dipping sides will turn your quesadilla from Beyonce into Sasha Fierce.

First you want to pop your leftover pulled pork in the microwave for 30 seconds. Likely, it has been sitting in the fridge all night and lost a bit of its tenderness. Next spread the meat on one half of the flour tortilla, and cover with shredded cheese.


Set your frying pan on Medium Heat. Next, fold your Quesadilla in half and spray the top with your cooking spray. Put the Quesadilla top down on the frying pan, and then spray the opposite side that is now on top. Push down on the quesadilla to make sure it is compact and easy for eating. Let this sit on the frying pan for 1 minute or until golden brown. Use your spatula and flip it to the opposite side. Again, wait until this side is golden brown and remove your scrumtious treat for eating- or in Top Chef talk-"Knives, down, hands up!"



Now, as much as I love my homemade pulled pork sandwiches, I have to say- this quesadilla gave them a run for their money. The meat was still tender and tangy from the BBQ sauce, and the cheese brought in the perfect moisture setting to make this a gooey treat- perfectly matched with guac or sour cream.


However- the bad part about writing this post the next day is I'm craving another. I WANT IT NOW!!!! Uh oh- I will try to control my VSS, but I have a feeling you will be see a post for another Mexican treat within 2-3 days. Guys- we know I have issues, let's just embrace them.




No comments:

Post a Comment