CATEGORIES

Thursday, February 13, 2014

"Frugal" Lasagna

I woke up in a cold sweat thinking about lasagna last week...

is that weird?

I have actually never made lasagna before so I started looking online for good recipes. Now when I look for recipes in general, my biggest concern is not the level of difficulty but the amount of ingredients I will actually need to buy for the dish, mostly because I'm frugal (aka the nice word for cheap as heck) like my mom.

As I was looking online for lasagna recipes, a lot of them included lists of ingredients that could really rack up my grocery bill. So at the cost of it not being the best lasagna ever, I FINALLY found an easy recipe that I could share.

What you need:
9 "no boil" lasagna noodles
1 32 oz jar of your fav pasta sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
2 bags mozz cheese
2 (16 oz) containers of cottage cheese
1 lb of ground beef or turkey (I chose turkey)
2 eggs
2 tsp of parsley
1/2 cup water



Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Cook your meat in a saucepan until golden brown. Add in all of your sauce and let it simmer for 5 min.
 


 
In the meantime, in a large bowl,  mix together your cottage cheese, 1 bag of mozz cheese, 2 eggs, and parsley.


 Now its time to build your lasagna. Pour 3/4 cup of your sauce mixture to coat the bottom of your 13x9 pan and cover with 3 uncooked noodles. Next spread 1 1/4 cup of your cheese mixture and 1/4 cup of sauce atop the noodles.  Once you have placed your last 3 uncooked noodles on top, cover them with the remaining sauce mixture, 1 cup of shredded mozz cheese and your Parmesan cheese. Add 1/2 cup of water around the edges of the pan.
 
 
 
 
Cover with 3 more uncooked noodles and repeat this process once more.
 


 
Once you have placed your last 3 uncooked noodles on top, cover them with the remaining sauce mixture, 1 cup of shredded mozz cheese and your Parmesan cheese. Add 1/2 cup of water around the edges of the pan. 

 

Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the foil and cook for 10 min.

 
The lasagna will be super hot coming out of the oven, but I obviously couldn't wait so i cut right into it- BAD IDEA. Let the lasagna sit for at least 15 minutes to firm up for a clean cut, otherwise its more like mush- but still very delicious mush!

No comments:

Post a Comment