CATEGORIES

Monday, March 24, 2014

Nick's Famous Roast Beef- 139 Dodge Street, Beverly, MA

When I posted my Roast Beef Challenge results on Facebook I got comments from several different folks that Nick's Famous Roast Beef in Beverly, MA had the best roast beef around. Since I would go to the ends of the earth for a delicious roast beef sandwich, and am trying to be a true food journalist, I decided I needed to try it to see if it would in fact give Billys a run for its money.



So me and my bro took the 25 minute trip from Melrose up to Beverly. We both ordered beefs in our typical ways, and although we did not have a Billys roast beef first hand to compare, felt we had sampled enough in our time on this planet to determine which was the better sandwich.



RESULTS: Nick's sandwich actually had better meat than Billys. It was more tender, moist and flavorful. HOWEVER, they probably put half as much meat in the sandwich as Billy's does (BIG no no!). The roll was also disappointing,  comparable to a Stop and Shop Hamburger roll, small and nothing special. While the meat is VERY important... I think it would have taken 2 sandwiches to fill me up as much as 1 Billys beef. So while taking into account bread quality, meat/bread ratio and meat flavor, I still have to go with BILLYS as the better sandwich.


I am now taking suggestions for the next place to take on BILLYS, which now has trumped 3 north shore beef places!! Any takers??

No comments:

Post a Comment