CATEGORIES

Monday, March 31, 2014

"Non Mayo" Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad, and I love mayo...so the thought of separating them makes me really upset. However, I keep seeing this recipes on Pintrest using greek yogurt to replace mayo and always wonder if it is just as good (wishful thinking). So since I had some leftover roast chicken, I couldn't resist making this. Roast chicken is the best type to use in chicken salad, especially shredded because it is so moist, tender and not too chewy..nothing worst than dry and chewy chicken..WOOF...I digress...anyway, I found a recipe called "healthy chicken salad" on pintrest using greek yogurt..so in the words of Kel:


Ingredients
2 cups roast chicken (shredded)
1 cup green grapes sliced
1/3 cup craisins
1 green apple peeled/chopped
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
1/2 red onion chopped
1 (5.3) oz of CIOBANI non-fat greek yogurt- plain
Your bread of choice (will effect the healthiness)

Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and put it on bread. Boom- done.



As far as quality chicken salad goes, the greek yogurt does not even come close to mayo. But it was really different tasting and intriguing with the salt from the chicken and almonds really contrasting the sweetness of the grapes and apple. While I would rather have normal chicken salad with mayo, I understand how it could be a nice healthy alternative for folks. I am glad I gave it a try though because I would have always wondered..and now I can just use this new recipe and replace the greek yogurt with mayo.... I'm sorry healthy chicken salad recipe, do you feel used?



No comments:

Post a Comment