CATEGORIES

Saturday, January 25, 2014

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with "Zesty" Avocado Spread

Another recipe from my healthy cookbook, hence the avocado. I think I've eaten more avocado in the last two weeks than I have in my entire life. Good thing its delicious.

This recipe caught my eye cuz I loooveeee me some BBQ. And it didn't look like it would taste TOO healthy...

What you need:
2 Chicken Breasts (or 4 breast tenderloins)
1 package of hamburger rolls (not the stupid cheap ones, pick something good)
1 Avocado (2 if you love avocado)
BBQ Sauce
1 TBSP red onion diced
1 lime
1 TBSP Green onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 slices of reduced fat sharp cheddar
Lettuce
Tomato
Cooking Spray
1 TBSP minced jalapeno pepper (if you like spice, which I don't- so I guess mine wasn't very "zesty")

Brush your chicken with BBQ sauce on both sides. Spray your grill pan with cooking spray and cook them on medium heat. Depending on thickness, they should cook 3-4 minutes on each side. About a minute before you take them off, put a slice of cheddar on each piece (if you do 4 tenderloins, use a half a piece on each).
 


To prepare your zesty avocado spread, mash up the avocado up in a bowl. Add the diced onion, lime (juiced), garlic, green onion and salt. Mix everything together and voila!


Build your sangy: On one half put your lettuce, tomato and bbq chicken (with melted cheese) and spread the avocado mixture on the other half.




 
And there you go! A super easy, and reasonably healthy meal under 20 minutes. My cookbook says these sandwiches come out to about 400 calories each. However, I literally doused my burger in that avocado spread, and then proceded to eat the leftovers out of the bowl with a spoon- so mine was probably a bit more. Sorry I'm not sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment