CATEGORIES

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Mom's "Famous" Calzone

Growing up, my parents always referred to their best dishes as 'famous'. This happened so often, that we started referring "Dad's Famous French Toast" or "Mom's Famous Steak Tips" to people outside of our house. I guess I never realized how weird that must have sounded to our friends..."Sorry Betty, I can't come over for dinner tonight because my dad is making his FAMOUS mashed potatoes." They either thought I had celebrity chef's for parents or was trained to compliment their cooking with exaggeration. Either way, we still refer to food this way, and its weird.

On that topic, my absolute favorite dish my mom makes is Italian Calzone. I don't attempt to make it that often, because I know it will never be as good as her's. But its really easy, and inexpensive, so I thought I would give it a whirl!

What you need (per calzone)
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1 egg
- 6 slices of swiss cheese
- 6 slices of Genoa Salami
- 4 slices of Ham
- 4 slices of Bologna
- Baking sheet

First stretch out your dough on your baking sheet. Make sure it is wide enough to be able to fold over the width of the meats at the end. Layer your meats in this order:

 Swiss (first 3 slices)
 
Salami
 
Bologna

 Ham
 
Swiss Cheese (last 3 slices)
 
 
Pull the long ends and fold them over the meats. My mom reminded me of the next step after I was done, so it is not shown in a picture. Turn over the calzone so the folded side is on the bottom. Usually the folded side has more dough, so this will make the bread thicker on the bottom, and thinner on the top.

 
Whisk one egg and brush over the top of the calzone. If you don't have eggs, millk can also substitute. This will make the top of the calzone that golden brown color we all love.

 
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown

 

Let it cool for about 10 minutes, cut into 1 inch slices and serve!!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. They are the best...always a request for any family party!!!

    ReplyDelete