CATEGORIES

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Grilled Southwestern Shrimp Salad with Lime-Cumin Dressing- 318 cals per serving

I know it doesn't seem like it, but SOMETIMES I eat salad. Not too often, but sometimes. I found this recipe in my healthy food cookbook and gave it a whirl. Although it does recommend cooking the corn and shrimp on the grill, I ended up using my grill pan because it is winter after all. Actually worked out pretty nicely.  And this is actually the first time I have ever made my own dressing from scratch. It was super easy, really delicious, and made me feel even healthier when I ate it. This recipe makes 4 servings, so keep that in mind when pouring it on your plate!

What you need                                                                   
3/4 lb peeled and deveined large shrimp                                   
2 ears corn                                                   
1 tsp chili powder                                                        
2 Tomatoes- cut into 8 wedges                                                    
1 Avocado- chopped                                                          
6 cups of romaine lettuce                                                    
cooking spray

Lime-Cumin Dressing
2 limes
1 TBSP canola oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1 TBS honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Take your corn out of its husks and spray with cooking spray. Rub chili powder evenly on ears of corn. Cook on your grill pan at medium/high for 12 min (turning every few minutes). Add in shrimp about 6 min for 3 min on each side.
 

When the corn is done, cut the kernels off the cob with a sharp knife. It may feel like you are carving a bit, but make sure you are getting the entire kernel and not just the ends (see photo below).



Dressing- in a small bowl squeeze both your limes, and add all other ingredients. Whisk everything together and BOOM you are the dressing master!
 

Build your salad: Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, Shrimp and Corn. Drizzle the dressing on top. Enjoy!
 

This might actually be one of the best salads I have ever made. It is a little light for a dinner, probably more preferable for lunch, but really fresh and flavorful. Maybe there's a little more salad on my horizon now eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment