CATEGORIES

Monday, January 20, 2014

The long awaited, North Shore, ROAST BEEF CHALLENGE


From a young age, I always had a sophisticated palette for the finer foods in life. Always gravitating towards the "adult" menu in restaurants instead of your typical chicken nugget, pizza and burger filled kids menu. And now I have proof- my 5th grade yearbook. While everyone else listed their favorite foods as ice cream, pizza or french fries, I chose the always satisfying Roast Beef (FREAK).  You're thinking- "that's not that weird, some kids like cold cuts" Oh no no my sweet little grasshopper... I wasn't referring to roast beef in cold cut form....I was talking about good old fashioned, medium rare, juicy, tender, back of the rump Roast BeaSt. Okay, now you agree, I was a weird child, a BEAST actually... which really makes my current obsession with food a lot clearer now doesn't it?

P.S. every time I see this movie I think about how DELICIOUS this looks
My love of roast beef has grown and stayed with me over time. While I don't enjoy the back of the rump too often anymore, I frequently indulge in a roast beef sandwich with extra mayo from a local hot spot. After sampling several restaurants across the North Shore over the past 10 years, I have narrowed it down to my two favs-Kelly's Roast Beef in Saugus (original one on Revere Beach), and Billy's Roast Beef in Wakefield. While society is all about "participation" awards nowadays, I still believe in something or someone being the absolute best. So here it comes people (slow clap) my very first....
 
ROAST BEEF CHALLENGE!!!

Curve ball- I happened to receive a gift card for Royal's Roast Beef in Stoneham for Xmas, so why not throw that one in the mix too? You never know...

Rules:
- No eating allowed up to 3 hours before the challenge begins
- Order a large roast beef with extra mayo from each restaurant
- Sample each sandwich a 1/4 at a time, so each gets the exact same level of attention and care before I start getting full
- Do not leave my seat until 1st, 2nd and 3rd place have been determined
- Water and only Water is allowed to accompany me on this challenge, so none of the flavors are distorted

I chose my brother to accompany me on this journey, because his love of roast beef sandwiches is actually stronger than mine. We got in the car at noon and began our journey to pick up a large beef from each place. Mike likes his roast beef's with sauce, so it was decided early on that we could not share. So we ordered 2 large beefs, one with sauce, and one with extra mayo from our three finalists. We decided to pick them all up and eat them in the comfort of our home. That way we could begin our food comas in a safe environment.

We headed to Royal's in Stoneham first, then Billy's in Wakefield and lastly, Kelly's in Saugus. The champions of three towns are now battling each other head on...but who will be the winner?




 
On our way home I started to get excited. I mean, isn't this the most glorious backseat you have ever seen?
 
 
But I needed to control myself and make sure this was done correctly. I removed all my beefs from my bags and stared in awe at what I was about to do. I have waited for this moment for a very long time, and it was happening.

 
To follow my rules above, I setup the plate with 1/4 of each sandwich and would alternate between them, after a few bites of each.

 
THE RESULTS: I was very surprised to find that Kelly's Roast beef was eliminated out of the running in the first round. The meat itself just didn't compare to Royals and Billy's. It wasn't as tender and juicy as the others, and took more effort to chew. I can't believe how good the Royal's beef was. This is a place I used to go to in High School when working across the street at the Dairy Dome, but literally haven't touched since then. Billy's, on the other hand, is my typical place to go to when looking for a beef on the North Share. Both beefs were tender, melt in your mouth delicious and came really close...but in the end...the winner is..
 
BILLY'S ROAST BEEF- WAKEFIELD, MA
 
You just can't beat the taste of their roast beef. It has so much flavor and has the perfect bun to meat ratio.
 
Guys, its over. I'm emotional.I'm crying. But not sad crying, happy crying, because justice has been served and the best beef has claimed its prize....my loyalty...forever..and ever..
 
Here are some other pics from our experience...




I'm so glad we did this in a safe place
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Liz. You are amazing. This is pretty much the most baller thing I have ever read.

    BILLY'S ROAST BEEF FOR LIFE

    ReplyDelete