CATEGORIES

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Biltmore Bar&Grill- 1205 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA

As you know, I love a good chain restaurant. But most times, the best food comes from a hidden gem, a dive, a place that's only form of advertisement is word of mouth. A friend recommended I try the Biltmore in Newton, and after browsing their menu online, I had to agree. I made a reservation for Friday night at 7:15 and stared at the mouthwatering menu while i waited three days for Friday to arrive.
 Yayy Friday came, and I'm so glad I made a reservation! It was PACKED with an hour wait for a table of two (cray, but always a good sign). Our reservation was for 7:15 and we got there right on time. Unfortunately, we ended up waiting about 20 minutes to get our table, which was a bit frustrating. But the hostess was so apologetic and had an ever-so-charming Irish brogue, so I wasn't getting too worked up over it.


 This Prohibition-era pub has tin ceilings, wood paneling and hardwood floors. Its farm style tables and cozy booths create a welcoming but laid back atmosphere that anyone can enjoy. The dining space is made of 2 open and connecting rooms, that could seat about 60 people. The tavern  is a separate space with a large bar, several high-top pub tables and offers a variety of craft beers and tasty snacks like mac and cheese fritters and fried pickles.



 We were seated in the dining area and were quickly greeted by our waitress. Since I had looked at the menu online for days, I knew exactly what I wanted. We ordered the pub fries for an appetizer, because they might be my favorite app of all time. While we were waiting for them, the restaurant manager came over with an order of popcorn chicken, to apologize for our 20 min. wait! What a guy! You know how I feel about places that do this, its such a low cost way to make sure your diner has a pleasant experience. Fried chicken can be very hit or miss, often coming out too hard or dry. But this app was crispy on the outside, but tender and moist on the inside. It was also accompanied with a tangy sauce to dip! Gotta love a good dipping sauce!

 
Our pub fries came shortly after, and I immediately realized that a food coma was in my near future. They were covered in cheese, bacon, chives and gravy. I was inhaling them faster than you can say Imaginormousfoodmoster...until I realized something was missing. I LOVE ranch dressing with cheese fries. Weird thing was, when I asked the waitress for it, she said they didn't have ranch dressing. I find that so odd...I thought it was a staple dipping sauce in America now? Oh well, you can't win em all..and the gravy was a sufficient component to keep the fries moist.

 
By now, I am already full. But we had already put in for our entrees. The menu was pretty cool, a lot of old school classics with modern twists like fried chicken & waffles and ricotta gnocci. I went for the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich and Jake got the BBQ Plate (ribs, wings, sausage, mac&cheese and cornbread). My sandwich was HUGE, and like i said, I was already busting at the seams, so I didn't eat much of it. What I did have was pretty good, a little spicy for my taste, but still satisfying. Jake's bbq plate was also ginormo, but his favorite part was the mac and cheese. I weaseled away a forkful and it tasted like an upscale Kraft blue box. So good.



 
 
This place was awesome, really friendly staff, with unique, homey and flavorful food. Next time I go though, I have to go for brunch. The menu looks too good to pass up. I mean banana bread french toast? Done and Done.
 
And side note: every time I reference the Biltmore's name, I can't help but say it in a fancy British butler voice. Try it, you won't stop.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment